Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Love the resolution.... Good even w/ older lenses...

agitater

Toronto, CA
4527 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Love the resolution.... Good even w/ older lenses..."

agitater Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007
Sun 20-Jan-13 01:21 PM | edited Sun 20-Jan-13 02:46 PM by agitater

>Hi Chris,
>
>I played with one of your pictures, I hope you like it!
>
>Bill
>
>
>

Click on image to view larger version

>

I think your edit appears to be oversharpened, and that has forced the background/bokeh to become harsh and much too busy looking. You also seem to have blurred some of the fine feather detail in the process because the small JPG you're working with had to be recompressed after you made your edits. The contrast is now way too high for my taste and doesn't look natural at all.

Sorry, sorry, sorry - I don't mean to be harsh - but I like the original better. I agree that the original could be improved somewhat in post, but not working from the small JPG posted in the thread because there's just not enough data to work with. You need either the original JPG or the NEF in order to successfully tweak the shot.

ADDED: the best way to sharpen a main subject without affecting a decent background is to use a layering editor such as Photoshop or Photoshop Elements. Working with the NEF, copy/mask/duplicate only the subject and place it on its own layer. Then sharpen or process only the isolated layer. You'll get much more satisfying results when working on edits of this kind. Working with NEF files will also avoid problems such as mosaicing and compression artifacts which can show up when working with JPG files.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

A general, generic topic Love the resolution.... Good even w/ older lenses... [View all] , icslowmo , Sun 20-Jan-13 03:53 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Love the resolution.... Good even w/ older lenses.....