Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Rubber Seal By Card Door Fell Out, What To Do?

jim thomas

Edmond, US
1322 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Rubber Seal By Card Door Fell Out, What To Do?"

jim thomas Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jan 2003
Thu 17-Jan-13 11:19 PM | edited Thu 17-Jan-13 11:25 PM by jim thomas

Hi Alan,

I think that Nikon would do itself a great favor by training its customer service folks to at least pretend to care about its customers. In part, what offended me was the attitude of the representative. There was no indication of any desire to even try to help me with the problem. The attitude was that the only obligation was to inform me of the applicable "Nikon Policy", which I understand to be: 1. If the part is one that is sold by Nikon, then the customer may buy the part (even though it is a brand new camera; or 2. Otherwise, pay the cost of shipping the camera for repair. It was particuarly frustrating because the part in question is a very small rubber piece that fits into the frame from the exterior....it looks like it should be replaceable by the customer.

I was also disappointed in the Nikon customer service because the representative misread my description of the problem and described it as a part by the battery chamber rather than a part by the card chamber. I pointed this out but got no response at all. In Nikon world the customer must fit into the Nikon pegs. Nothing else matters. In other words, the location of the part did not matter unless the part is a part sold by Nikon. And the representative did not bother to look this up himself. He referred me to the list of parts sold. So, once again, the burden is on the customer to figure out if the part is one sold by Nikon, in which case the customer may buy the part and install it. I don't think the representative even bothered to try to understand my problem...and it seemed clear that he did not care.

I still have my EL2 that I bought in 1975 or 1976. It still works as it did when new and has required no service at all....granted, it is mechanically a much simpler machine. However, it does seem that Nikon's standards may have deteriorated over the years. Thom Hogan has commented that it "seems" to him that the quality control for the D800/D800E may be lower than with previous cameras; however, he made it clear that his data is not sufficient for scientific sampling and that it is only a feeling. So far, I have not had good luck, having two D800Es that had problems. I am hoping that the replacement will be good on all counts.

JDT

A topic tagged as having a question Rubber Seal By Card Door Fell Out, What To Do? [View all] , jim thomas Silver Member , Mon 14-Jan-13 12:23 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Rubber Seal By Card Door Fell Out, What To Do?