Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

viewfinder image size when using a dx lens

Arkayem

Richmond Hill, GA (Savannah), US
6129 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: viewfinder image size when using a dx lens"

Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography Charter Member
Wed 04-Apr-12 07:17 PM

>hi again, I guess I didn't make myself clear with my post.I
>had a d70 and when looking though the viewfinder the image was
>small compered to my d300, was wondering what size the d800
>viewfinder size would compare to? thanks Tom

Hi Tom,

Let me try again. I have a D70, a D200, and a D800. I don't have a D300, but I do have a D200 and its viewfinder has the same magnification as the D300.

Viewfinder magnification specs:
D70 viewfinder is 0.75X.
D200 viewfinder is 0.94X.
D300 viewfinder is 0.94X.
D800 viewfinder is 0.70X.

This means that the physical size of the subject in the viewfinder on the D70 will be smaller than the D200 and D300 but it will be almost the same as the size of the subject in the D800.

When you attach a DX lens to the D800, it places a box in the viewfinder of the D800. When you take a picture, you will capture only what is inside that box.

I brought the viewfinder to my eye to visually compare DX lenses on each of my cameras.

The items in the D200 viewfinder are the largest when the lenses are all set to the same focal length. When I set the focal length to 55 mm on the D200, I see exactly the same size subject as on the D800 set to 82.5mm.

The subject in the D70 viewfinder is almost exactly the same size as the D800 when the lenses are set to the same focal length.

The DX BOX in the D800 viewfinder is almost the same size as the full D70 viewfinder size. The subject looks the same size.

Does that answer your question?

Russ
Nikonian Team Member
Russell MacDonald Photography
Nikon CLS Practical Guide

A general, generic topic viewfinder image size when using a dx lens [View all] , tinglis , Mon 02-Apr-12 09:52 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: viewfinder image size when using a dx lens