Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

viewfinder image size when using a dx lens

Ferguson

Cape Coral, US
5701 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: viewfinder image size when using a dx lens"

Ferguson Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for the generous sharing of his high level expertise in the spirit of Nikonians Nikonian since 19th Aug 2004
Tue 03-Apr-12 12:01 AM

The D800 in DX crop mode does not change magnification or anything else other than a black outline of sorts in the frame.

So if you put a 200 lens on it that is DX, and look through it, and then do the same from the same place as your D300, you see the exact same screen (inside the boxes - there is some bleed over), but the angle over which your eye sees it is smaller by the same proportion.

I have no idea if a magnifier is available. It's not an issue for me, as I don't use the viewfinder for focus. But it does take getting used to, especially if you use DX crop mode with an FX lens where you don't get the darker field to remind you that you are shooting only in the center.

There's always live view if you are doing something that needs magnificantion (like focus). And it's a better live view than the D300 in several regards (easy one button activation, better focus, bigger screen, and no mirror slap).

Comments welcomed on pictures: Http://captivephotons.com

A general, generic topic viewfinder image size when using a dx lens [View all] , tinglis , Mon 02-Apr-12 09:52 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: viewfinder image size when using a dx lens