Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Should I Keep DX Lens For D800?

ericbowles

Atlanta, US
10535 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Should I Keep DX Lens For D800?"

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005
Sun 13-Jan-13 08:28 PM

<If you like the lens try it in DX mode on your D800, its still an 18 mp DX camera. I even use my 70-200 2.8 VRII in Dx mode occasionally to get a little extra reach on my D800E.>

In DX mode your D800 is much closer to a D7000 in terms of ISO performance and file size. You really are giving up quite a bit.

As Brian suggests, crop mode is just cropping the image to a smaller size. There is no advantage to using a 70-200 in crop mode vs. cropping after the fact (other than file size). What's more, you are using a full sized viewfinder so it is not as easy to see as a DX viewfinder.

Sure you can use the 17-55 in DX mode and it will be roughly equivalent to the 24-70 in some respects. But there is a big difference in your images. The relative depth of field is about 1 1/2 stops shallower with an FX less on an FX camera - check the DOF tables for specific examples. The FX image size gets the benefits of large file that is often downsized for printing - and you lose much of that advantage in crop mode. If budget is your issue, the 24-85 is readily available and will better fit the capability of the camera than a DX crop using a 17-55.

Quality wise, the 24-70 is modestly better than the 17-55. But the other differences are very important. This is not a close call or matter of opinion as with many lens choices. The 24-70 clearly is able to take advantage of the D800 in a manner that is not possible with a 17-55 in crop mode.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

A general, generic topic Should I Keep DX Lens For D800? [View all] , dearlg , Sun 13-Jan-13 11:45 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Should I Keep DX Lens For D800?