Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

What should I consider in a D800 with lens?

km6xz

St Petersburg, RU
3559 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: What should I consider in a D800 with lens?"

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009
Sat 12-Jan-13 06:07 AM

Yes, the 24 PC-E works but due to the overhang of the large pentaprism doghouse, the lens needs to be tilted to attach and then adjusted to how you wish to use is normally..
I answered your initial question focusing on the T/S lenses and only knew about your landscape interests. For a general purpose mid zoom, the 24-70 2.8 is the standard by which others are judged. It is one of the most commonly owned Fx lenses for good reason, optically it is very good, is built well and has a very useful range. If your longer lens interests are limited to 200 and less, the standard that every pro owns and uses a lot is the excellent 70-200 VRII f/2.8. It is my most often used lens, primarily for portraiture or candids, events etc.
For general purpose wide angle lenses the 14-24 is unique in zooms, a zoom that beats all other zooms in optical performance and all primes except possibly the 21mm Zeiss, which is either tied or slightly better.
It is the lens introduced when the D3 was introduced that was responsible for selling an awful lot of D3s, just to get full use out of that lens. One characteristic that some photographers do not like is the bulbous front element makes use of standard screw on filters impossible. The filter issue can be solved with filter holder frames for such as the Lee Filters SW-150 Filter Holder or one of the screw on adapters for 145mm filters such as the Fotodiox. The Lee filters are more useful in that a GND filter can be slid up and down to fit the need of the scene rather than needing to put the horizon at the center of the frame as with normal circular screw on filters. If you ever wanted filters, that would be the most useful style on any serious landscape rig. The only draw backs to the Lee system is the CPL are not possible.

If your shooting favors faster primes, there are a number of standouts, such as the 85 f/1.4G, the 24 f/1.4 105 DC or 135 DC and 200 f/2.0. But these add up to more than a couple of quality zooms.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

This is a hot, active topic! What should I consider in a D800 with lens? [View all] , leonardevens Gold Member , Thu 10-Jan-13 08:27 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: What should I consider in a D800 with lens?