Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

What should I consider in a D800 with lens?

km6xz

St Petersburg, RU
3559 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: What should I consider in a D800 with lens?"

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009
Thu 10-Jan-13 10:37 PM

Hello Leonard, The image quality of the D800 might pleasantly surprise you with its DR and color depth and fine resolution. But you will be restricted to a few Perspective Control lenses that Nikon(3 fl's) makes or a limited number of 3rd party brands such as Samyang which makes a 24mm tilt and shift for a reasonable price..
The most common landscape PC lens by Nikon is the 24mm f/3.5 that is a bit over $2000.
If you want more control but a larger less portable rig there is the various rail systems with billows by companies like Horseman.
You likely know more about those offerings than just about anyone on this forum since you have been using these capabilities with your view camera.
I think you would find no problem associated with the D800e not having an AA filter, it is rarely seen to be a problem but the additional sharpness would likely be appreciated coming from a view camera.
The D800e would be the only SLR that would give the larger format cameras a run for it, yet has the added advantage of good low light, high ISO performance.
If you are really curious and not able to try out the D800 with local photographers, you could rent one, and a 24 PC-E lenses for a weekend to see it is really fits your needs.
Good luck with your choice.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

This is a hot, active topic! What should I consider in a D800 with lens? [View all] , leonardevens Gold Member , Thu 10-Jan-13 08:27 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: What should I consider in a D800 with lens?