Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Nikon WT-4 wireless transmitter

HBB

Phoenix, US
8783 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Nikon WT-4 wireless transmitter"

HBB Moderator Hal is an expert in several areas, including CLS Awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Resources. Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Charter Member
Thu 10-Jan-13 05:53 PM

Luke:

Thanks for dropping in. Nice to hear from you again.

I shoot exclusively in RAW mode and have no need for JPEG files. It makes things easier for me in file management and post processing if I don't have to keep separate original RAW and JPEG files. My three folders in post processing under the session folder are "Originals" where the RAW files live, "Processed" for finished images, and "WEB" for the occasional Nikonian and other JPEG files, as needed.

By sending the RAW files to the notebook computer I am also capturing another backup set.

If I were doing a lot of studio photography with the D3X and D800E with their larger RAW files, I would likely consider using JPEG. I haven't tried shooting tethered with the D800E yet, but am guessing, based on transfer time for the D3, that a RAW file transfer via USB cable will be about twenty seconds or less.

From another perspective, plugging in a simple USB cable to the camera is a lot cleaner and tidier than attaching the WT-4 unit. The law enforcement shoots can get a bit "dynamic" at times, and anything that is not "bolted down", so to speak, can be at risk. As mentioned earlier, it took about a year to work through configuration details over several sessions to arrive at the rig shown above.

Regards,

HBB in Phoenix, Arizona
Nikonian Team Member

Photography is a journey with no conceivable destination.

A topic tagged as in need of help Nikon WT-4 wireless transmitter [View all] , Collison Gold Member , Thu 10-Jan-13 10:05 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Nikon WT-4 wireless transmitter