Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

is the Focus Issue still "Hit Or Miss"?

KnightPhoto

Alberta, CA
4962 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: is the Focus Issue still "Hit Or Miss"?"

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006
Wed 09-Jan-13 01:57 AM

Hi Guys,

The Crows Nest gallery images are D800E but a lot of them are some HDR I did right out of the gate with my new baby, thus the shadow detail. The birds are a mix, with preponderance from October being D800E and no moire that I have noticed yet in any situation, birding or otherwise. The birding ones you can definitely use "Show EXIF Info" to see which camera shot it.

On my todo list is to learn how to recover shadow detail from a single D800 shot like I see guys doing (thus precluding need for HDR, or at least less often).

I have a strange mix of things I shoot (theatre and birding) which tend to favour D4 for the specializations but then D800E as my general camera for everything else. I haven't owned a full-sized body like the D4 before, so am not fully qualified to compare, but I have the subjective feeling that the D4 I just wave vaguely at my subject and wham-wham-wham image captured, whereas D800E I am trying to put more thought into it.

The D4 I planned and plotted for years to get (saving, selling other gear, and waiting for a D700S that never came out) whereas the D800E was a bit of a happy circumstance where I could sell my D700 and grip and use money from a pile of unanticipated overtime I worked this past fall and was lucky to get it. So I count my blessings I have two great cameras to use. Am really happy with both cameras. For a while after I got my D800E I was worried the D4 was not going to get any use ever again, but I've gotten back into a routine with the D4 now that the D800E honeymoon period is over and both cameras are getting a share. And both cameras are getting video use too, experimenting there but I honestly don't have the necessary time it takes for video PP. In light of all this my poor trusty D7000 is languishing though

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

A general, generic topic is the Focus Issue still "Hit Or Miss"? [View all] , Kyle O , Mon 07-Jan-13 04:16 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: is the Focus Issue still "Hit Or Miss"?