Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Ferguson

Cape Coral, US
5696 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: DX vs. FX"

Ferguson Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for the generous sharing of his high level expertise in the spirit of Nikonians Nikonian since 19th Aug 2004
Sun 13-Jan-13 02:47 PM

I know a lot of people think one should not do an AF fine tune, but I'd like to suggest you consider it. At least analyze a bunch of your shots, and see if the focus always seems in front or behind (for a give focus point).

I just got a 200/F2, also an extremely sharp lens and one well known for working with a TC. Out of the box it was softer than my 70-200, except it wasn't -- it was just focusing in the wrong place.

I did a very careful fine tune. On the D800 I needed a +10, on the D4 I needed a -7. Now it is sharp enough to hurt you.

It's always a can of worms, some will tell you if you need to fine tune "send it back to Nikon". But the D800, with people viewing them 1:1, you are into low-tolerance photography. Anything that's not off shows up magnified.

Linwood

Comments welcomed on pictures: Http://captivephotons.com

This is a hot, active topic! DX vs. FX [View all] , jfitzg14 Silver Member , Sun 06-Jan-13 11:02 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: DX vs. FX