Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
ericbowles

Atlanta, US
10633 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: DX vs. FX"

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005
Sun 13-Jan-13 01:25 PM

Joe

The 300 f/2.8 without a teleconverter should be tack sharp on the D800. There are reasonable limits as to how much you should crop, but the lens should be sharp.

With the teleconverter, you are trading off slightly on sharpness plus you are losing light. I'll assume shutter speed needs to be 1/1000 sec or faster for birds regardless of other settings. I willingly use the TC14E II and find the drop in quality minimal. I avoid using the TC17E II and TC20E III unless truly necessary as the softness and impact on aperture make a difference. When you use those teleconverters, you need to have excellent light and crop less than with a bare lens.

You need to be careful about expecting too much from severe crops on distant targets. I would avoid cropping teleconverter images beyond 50% unless you are comfortable with the drop in image quality.

If the subject is distant, the image is likely to be a little soft. Teleconverters just make it larger but still soft. It varies by lens, but I find beyond 100 yards most lenses are softer.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

This is a hot, active topic! DX vs. FX [View all] , jfitzg14 Silver Member , Sun 06-Jan-13 11:02 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: DX vs. FX