Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
ericbowles

Atlanta, US
10544 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: D800 Images"

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005
Sat 05-Jan-13 12:19 PM

Paul

You've got two sets of questions here - part about the D800 and images, and part about post processing software. If we can't quickly resolve the software questions here, it's probably better to move that discussion to the Nikon Software forum.

I'm running Capture NX2 and View on a Windows 7 i5 64 bit system with 8 GB of RAM. You should be fine from a system standpoint.

First things first. Can you use View NX2 to view the images? That's the most neutral viewer and uses the camera settings.

The D800 images should be excellent. Are you shooting NEF + JPEG or just NEF? It is possible to view the JPEG file and a basic JPEG would appear to have low resolution at 100%.

Images should be very sharp. The 70-200 f/2.8 performs very well at f/5 but you can see some softness wide open. Still, I regularly shoot it at f/3.2 or so. Be sure VR is off and shutter speeds are fast enough for a good test. Use the center sensor for AF. Try selecting a subject that is 15-20 feet away. A tripod is a good test, but I have no problems handheld if shutter speeds are 1/500 sec or higher.

Check the Picture Control settings and set it for Standard. Standard is a relatively neutral starting point and should produce good images without undue sharpening or contrast which can cause pixelation and artifacts. Set ISO on a reasonable value - ISO 200 or so for test purposes. Turn off D-Lighting and Active D-Lighting for now while you are testing - both can introduce noise or pixelation.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

A general, generic topic D800 Images [View all] , Paul4707 Silver Member , Fri 04-Jan-13 04:54 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D800 Images