Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
sffranky

US
4 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: 800 0r 800E"

sffranky Registered since 11th Dec 2012
Fri 04-Jan-13 10:32 PM

Thanks to everyone for their thoughtfull replies.

I am quite aware of the expense involved in my endeavor. Back it the late 80's I did a camera safari in Tazania and Kenya. I used a Nikon FM with a rented 300mm 2.8 lens - usually bracing the lens on a couple of sand bags on the top of the Land Rover. At the time there was no way I could afford such a lens. But times change.. My budget is not limited to 5k. That's just what I'll probasbly spend this month. I also realize I have a lot of learning to do. But right now I don't even have a DSLR to work with when I tske that workshop. As for portraits and landscape - been there and done that. I spent a decade avoiding landscapes when I realized I had thousands of beautiful photos of places - but almost none of the people around me. That's when I went on my HCB kick and got the Leica. I spent years working exclusivly with one lens: a 35mm 1.4 summilux - and concentrating on environmental portraits and darkrooms. As for architecture: I spend a lot of time in San Francisco. So I have plenty of material to work with. But I can't immagine lugging around an 8X10 bellows camera adjusting for parallax all day.
Now I'm getting ready to sit in Northern CA. surrounded by white tail kites, quail, migrating waterfoul, hawks of all kinds, Spotted Towhees, foxes, coyotees, Kingfishers, hummingbirds, nuthatches, great horned owls, etc, etc. That's what I want to do next: Environmental portraits of the critters in my environment. I
I've always been an outdoor type anyway...

Thanks again everyone.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A general, generic topic 800 0r 800E [View all] , sffranky , Thu 03-Jan-13 07:04 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: 800 0r 800E