Please help me to decide. I am not sure whether I should go in for a D800 or a D600. I am aware of the specifications of both the models.
My fear/problems are:
1. The D800's files are too large (I shoot mainly in RAW) which will fill up my hard drives very quickly. I know that prices of HDs are always coming down but I don't want to keep many HDs and start searching them one by one when I want to find out some images.
2. The D800 has had a problem of some left hand side AF sensors not autofocussing properly. I don't know how serious that problem is or whether Nikon has solved that problem. If yes, which serial number should be avoided?
3. I don't know whether I'll be happy with only 4fps burst. I often find my D7000 with its 6fps also slow.
4. I know that in DX mode, the D800 can give me 16MP but I also have the D7000 (and the D700), so I don't see much advantage there.
5. Another main worry is about the noise levels. The D800 would be noisier than the D600, especially at higher ISOs. Let me add here that I was very disappointed with the noise levels of my D2X, which I sold long time ago. Please don't tell me that 'at the same megapixel level, the noise would be similar' because I do not agree with downsizing a large file so that noise levels could be compared. There might be some truth to that but it just doesn't make sense to me.
6. The D600 has oil-splattering and dust problems, which I am told, goes away after some shutter actuation. Is this true?
Sorry for the long query. I would appreciate your views. I need to make my choice as early as possible.