Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

First Test Image ...D800E

km6xz

St Petersburg, RU
3559 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: First Test Image ...D800E"

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009
Wed 02-Jan-13 09:50 PM

I think the early problems have pretty much been resolved at the production line because we are just not hearing of focus problems on the left focal points anymore.

Even if mine had it, I am pretty sure I would have never noticed since there are very few times if ever I used any camera or any fast lens wide open using a far left focusing point. The right side, is used often with portraits in vertical orientation however. Sure, I would shoot stopped down if the scene called for a far corner focus point, because the lenses performs better but what is the sense in inviting problems by using a lens were it is bound to do its worst? On those cases where I use the left, it is stopped down to give the lens a fighting chance to perform OK.

The left AF problem was discovered by one person using wide open fast wide primes 6 weeks after thousands of D800's were in the hands of photographers. If people had measured their lenses in the past like they are now with the D800 they would find that they never had great performance wide open with fast lenses in the corners.

It would be interesting to do an analysis of just how many people shot how many serious scenes or landscapes at 1.4 using the far left FP, with any camera, digital or film before the frenzy to measure what they could never see in the past.

Regarding Moire, the field reports are pretty conclusive, it is a non-issue. For the few using higher res cameras in the studio, MF, which do not have AA filters, the D800e problem is less than what they are used to. Many were concerned about how the camera was rumored to be unusable on regular fine patterns before anyone actually tried one but after the first week of buyers using it, the only posts we saw where comments about how pleasantly surprised the new owner was that there was no problem. But moire is a problem for a tiny fraction of images, with or without an AA filter. What most people have called moire was aliasing of their monitor and display re-sampling the image, changing image zoom magnification slightly eliminated it, as expected. We all see that occasionally with any camera and any resolution.

And what if 1 out of every 600 shots were spoiled, when 599 were captured better than any camera the photographer ever held before? If those odds are not enough, one would have to question the goal in having such a camera in the first place.

Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

This is a hot, active topic! First Test Image ...D800E [View all] , HBB Moderator Hal is an expert in several areas, including CLS Awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Resources. Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 , Fri 28-Dec-12 07:27 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: First Test Image ...D800E
Reply message D800