Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Help Plz - Lost Files

ajdooley

Waterloo, US
3390 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Help Plz - Lost Files"

ajdooley Gold Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006
Thu 27-Dec-12 12:01 AM | edited Thu 27-Dec-12 12:03 AM by ajdooley

William - Not to worry.

I have used both SanDisk and Lexar's recovery software. Unless you have reused the card since you accidentally formatted it, you will probably recover ALL of your images. Even if you have used it, you should recover MOST of them. I have found both Lexar and SanDisk's versions to be excellent and not brand dependent. In other words, they will work on virtually all cards. I helped a colleague recently with Lexar's software on a SanDisk card and recovered images he shot as far back as last summer, since which he has formatted and reused the card several times. But the best results derive from a formatted, although not used again card. Lexar produces 2 recovered files: a full size file and a 15kb thumbnail you have to discard. It takes awhile to do -- just follow the directions. If you fail -- start again. Nothing is lost.

For those old enough to rememebr pre-windows days, all formatting memory does is remove the first character of the file name, replacing it with another character and rendering the file unreadable. In the old days you had to go in and figure out what character removed was, to restore the file. Now, Lexar and SanDisk simply replace it with their character and move on -- easy. I believe you can download either brand from the internet. I'd just pay the going price vice getting the free version. You'll be satisifed, paying will focus your attention and updates will be available to paid versions. And both are relatively inexpensive. If you are already in for a D800, this is a minimal insurance cost! Good luck.

Alan
Waterloo, IL, USA
www.proimagingmidamerica.com

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A general, generic topic Help Plz - Lost Files [View all] , wmcy Gold Member , Wed 26-Dec-12 01:41 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Help Plz - Lost Files
Reply message Report Back - RE: Help Plz - Lost Files