Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D800 with separate meter??

PhotoemWriter

West Lafayette, US
35 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: D800 with separate meter??"

PhotoemWriter Registered since 06th Mar 2010
Sat 05-Jan-13 01:53 PM

Years ago when I was shooting with an Olympus OM4T I got used to using its spot metering system by which I could spot-meter on on up to 8 points in a scene. Then the camera would store and average the readings for the shot. With this very sophisticated system I learned how to effectively use spot metering to produce some amazing transparency images.

When I switched from Olympus to Nikon, I did so because Nikon had a spot metering system while Canon did not. When I added medium format to my photographic repertoire, I purchased a 1-degree Sekonic light meter so I could do zone system photography. Now I rarely use my Pentax and Rollei MF cameras.

So far I have not used my hand-held spot meter with my D800. But when I am doing more landscape work this spring, I may well get the old Sekonic out of the mothballs and see what I think of using it with the D800. I find that I shoot and think differently when I am using a hand-held meter than when I am not. Which is to say, I think more like a MF photographer than a 35mm photographer, taking far few photos and shooting very deliberately.

I frankly doubt that my exposures will be different between hand-held and in-camera metering. But I know that using a hand-held meter will slow down my shooting process and, hopefully, help me take the care I take when I am shooting medium format.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A general, generic topic D800 with separate meter?? [View all] , avisys , Wed 26-Dec-12 12:23 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D800 with separate meter??