Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

HELP: First day with D800 and already in panic!

Abedirov

Moscow, RU
22 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: HELP: First day with D800 and already in panic!"

Abedirov Registered since 28th Jun 2011
Tue 25-Dec-12 10:09 PM

Guys, thank you all for your suggestions.

I am not a complete newbie and I am familiar with various autofocus modes of recent Nikon bodies being an owner of D7000 for almost 2 years. Please take into account, that I am talking about a specific scenario where I shoot my son who is walking or running around indoors. I use SB700, camera is in manual mode, spot metering in order to switch to TTL mode and ISO 400 or higher.

I think that my issue may be caused by 3 things :
1. Limited DOF. I should probably increase the aperture to at least f4
2. Low shutter speed. What would be your recommendation for the minimum shutter speed in this scenario for the 85mm focal length? 1/125s was OK with D7000 in a similar situation
3. Inappropriate autofocus settings for the specific situation. Please note that I use AF-ON button to focus, so I am always in AF-C mode.

Darrel, I do not think that AF-S would be the best mode to shoot a child who is constantly moving around. Again, I might be wrong.
Now, which area mode shall I use? I used 3D on D7000 almost all the time and the results where acceptable. Shall it be different with D800?

I try to focus on the eyes. The trouble is, that by the time I press the shutter release, my son can move his head slightly or even start walking towards me.

This is a hot, active topic! HELP: First day with D800 and already in panic! [View all] , Abedirov , Tue 25-Dec-12 06:44 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: HELP: First day with D800 and already in panic!