Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

HELP: First day with D800 and already in panic!

Ferguson

Cape Coral, US
5747 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: HELP: First day with D800 and already in panic!"

Ferguson Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for the generous sharing of his high level expertise in the spirit of Nikonians Nikonian since 19th Aug 2004
Tue 25-Dec-12 08:08 PM

>What am I doing wrong? Any advice would be appreciated.

Don't assume you are doing it wrong so much as need some practice and familiarity.

>Anyway, I mounted my 85 and took several pictures of my 14
>months old son who was mostly running around just to test my
>new toy. Immediately noted that most of them were not sharp.
>Checked the files on my PC, most of them even did not have the
>focus point!

I'm assuming that means in Capture or View NX, which can indeed be a sign you had problem obtaining focus.

>My settings were AF-C with 3D tracking, then I switched to
>Dynamic, 21 points, the custom setting for AF-C is focus and
>release. Most pictures were taken at 1/125s f/2.8 or f/4.

Personally I have found 3D to be rather pointless, but your results may vary. I would recommend at first starting with AF-C, single point, and see what you get. That way you know exactly what you are focusing on.

Then check the menus for AF-C Priority. I'd recommend starting with Focus, then eventually trying Release+Focus. If you are on release, it will release the shutter before it focuses.

Finally, if you still do not get the results you expect, put it on a tripod, point at something so you are sure where you are focusing, turn off auto-focus entirely, switch to live view (be sure it is PHOTO live view not movie), zoom in all the way (or maybe one less) and focus very precisely. Take a few images. Be sure you are at a high shutter speed or if not set shutter delay to 3 seconds (option d4).

This will show you what "sharp" is to compare to your handheld images, as it avoids the auto-focus system entirely and uses the imaging sensor, so focus is as good as it gets (well, if you are careful). Just be sure you have a steady shot with ample shutter speed.

If it's still really soft you may either have bad expectations, or something more seriously wrong. Upload a couple samples, maybe some 1:1 crops).

Linwood

Comments welcomed on pictures: Http://captivephotons.com

This is a hot, active topic! HELP: First day with D800 and already in panic! [View all] , Abedirov , Tue 25-Dec-12 06:44 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: HELP: First day with D800 and already in panic!