Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D800 cropped v. DX cam uncropped

ericbowles

Atlanta, US
10633 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: D800 cropped v. DX cam uncropped"

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005
Fri 06-Apr-12 01:37 PM

<Then I put that same lens on a D800 and frame the shot (by moving my position relative to the subject) so I get the same area that I saw with the D300. Now, take those two images and resize them (without any cropping) to, say 1200 pixels horizontally or print them both at, say 10 inches across. Will I see any difference? If yes, why?>

You will of course have a change in perspective through moving close, so they will not be exactly the same.

Downsizing to 1200 pixels means you are resizing 6 pixels to 1 on the D800 and 3.5 pixels to 1 on the D300. That's a big advantage for the D800 and it will show a lot more detail. Some of the sample images look almost too sharp to be real because of this effect. The D800 will also have significantly more dynamic range and color than the D300.

Now this is a bit unfair as the D300 remains a very good camera and the equal of almost every published image you have seen over the past few years. The D800 just moves things to a new level.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

A general, generic topic D800 cropped v. DX cam uncropped [View all] , Shy Talk Silver Member , Fri 06-Apr-12 07:43 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D800 cropped v. DX cam uncropped