Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Need clarity about what I should have expected with ful...

JohnInsa

Bedfordview, ZA
32 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Need clarity about what I should have expected with full frame a camera"

JohnInsa Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jun 2009
Thu 27-Dec-12 05:08 PM

Hey Kelly

Like yourself, I have been using a D300 and a D300S for the last three years and have enjoyed immensely the results I was getting, and again, like yourself, having only then gone from film to a DSLR and having achieved decent results there, I thought it was time to step up the game a tad lolol

Enter a Nikon D800 and a very nervous photographer!!! As all have said here before me, the additional resolution is not anything like as forgiving as the D300 and this is highlighted even further as one moves up the focal length scale. I have found that by going back to basic techniques of shooting, like taking a deep breath at shot time, tucking in the elbows etc has helped me hugely. I am not for one minute suggesting you don't have these techniques, but I am sort of saying that for me, the D300 allowed me to go backwards into bad shooting habits because of its forgiving nature, this sadly is not the case with the D800.

I have no doubt you will find the D800 a fantastic camera and whilst it might take a little more initial work, it wont take long to fine tune and get astounding pictures again.

Good luck and please let us know how you get on.

BTW I agree wholeheartedly with the comments posted about criticism, that to me was the beauty of joining Nikonians in the first place, nothing was too simple to ask and everyone (or almost everyone) has always been extremely helpful and long may that be the case.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

This is a hot, active topic! Need clarity about what I should have expected with ful... [View all] , KHR Gold Member , Mon 24-Dec-12 01:36 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Need clarity about what I should have expected with...