Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Need clarity about what I should have expected with ful...

km6xz

St Petersburg, RU
3559 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Need clarity about what I should have expected with full frame a camera"

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009
Mon 24-Dec-12 10:21 AM | edited Mon 24-Dec-12 10:23 AM by km6xz

I found that my minimum hand held shutter speed needed to be higher with the D800 than the D7000 even though they have about the same pixel density. The D7000 requires faster shutter than the D90 which has similar pixel density as your D300. Once you get it dialed in, you will find that every imaginable IQ criteria is better with the D800, from AF to metering to noise at any ISO etc.
The DOF is the same as DX if you move to the same point that results in the same VF subject size. F/11 is well into Diffraction so any more stopped down and you will be losing ultimate sharpness....but even if greatly defraction limited, the images will still be sharper than a D300. When you get used to it, and used to the higher shutter and higher resulting ISO needed to get it, you will be very happy with it.
Here is a shot I would have just passed on with either the D90 or D300s due to extremely low light. Shot in pub with no interior lights on for some strange reason, the only light in the room was back-lit evening windows during a rain storm 90 minutes after sundown. That meant the 85 1.4G was wide open, 1/100, and ISO 12,600! I was focusing on the camera right eye, which I could not see at all, just black so the spec of -2EV for AF is an understatement. No NR, no post except a little tweaking of WB since the image had a blue cast and pushing exposure +1 ev in LR.
This was taken Friday used a lens kindly loaned to my by a fellow Nikonian, Peter, in San Jose since I was traveling light with only 2 lenses(24-70 and 70-200). It might not be great but it would have been impossible with any DX camera.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Click on image to view larger version

Attachment#1 (jpg file)

This is a hot, active topic! Need clarity about what I should have expected with ful... [View all] , KHR Gold Member , Mon 24-Dec-12 01:36 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Need clarity about what I should have expected with...