Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Total number of photos in D800

txstone12

Texas, US
599 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Total number of photos in D800"

txstone12 Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 12th Feb 2012
Fri 28-Dec-12 04:16 PM | edited Fri 28-Dec-12 04:20 PM by txstone12

>Dear friends,
>
>I have a D800 and I would like to know if gthere is any option
>that allows to know the exact number of photos taken.
>
>Kindest regards,

OK, let's try again. With all due respect and politeness, we're being very selective about which posts we're reading in this thread.

In his original post, Alexandre asked how to find the number of photos taken. If you use or have ever used Live View, the shutter actuation count does not equal no. of photos taken.

You can try this yourself, you don't have to take anyone else's word for it. Take a photo in the Viewfinder and look at image count. Enter Live View. Make sure you are in LV and watching your subject Edit: on the LCD. Don't take a photo. Leave LV and take another photo with Viewfinder. What is the image count now? You will find that entering and leaving LV without taking a photo increments image count as I said in #2 above.

You can upload your image to a web site, use third party software or post processing software, e.g., Photoshop, as mentioned above to get image count. If you are a Mac user, you can simply look at the image (NEF or Jpg) in Preview, then go to Tools, Show Inspector, i button - EXIF.

Shutter actuation cycles is a very important camera build to parameter and resale indicator of usage

Nikon tests the D800 shutter unit to ... "well over 200,000 cycles of release to prove durability and precision".

http://cdn-4.nikon-cdn.com/en_US/o/Y6wrkA9OU_z04IreazIXl_22UII/PDF/D800_Brochure.pdf

If you sell your D800, chances are the prospective buyer will want to know the no. of shutter actuations, just like looking at the mileage on a used car.

But if you want to know the no. of images taken, I don't know of an easy way to find that number. Total no. of images taken is made up of the no. of files written (to each card, each reformatted card) or the no. of files you have imported to your cataloging software.

David

Visit my Nikonians gallery

A general, generic topic Total number of photos in D800 [View all] , ABAS Gold Member , Thu 20-Dec-12 11:07 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Total number of photos in D800