Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Reikan Focal - Latest?

Ferguson

Cape Coral, US
5701 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Reikan Focal - Latest?"

Ferguson Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for the generous sharing of his high level expertise in the spirit of Nikonians Nikonian since 19th Aug 2004
Tue 25-Dec-12 02:01 AM

>Linwood,
>I have questions about the FoCal product. I went to their
>website to see the details and pricing. I could not find a
>price for the FoCal Pro, and then I found that (I think) the
>FoCal Pro will not fully automatically adjust the D800's fine
>tune because of what they call "a crippled PC
>interface" (inferring that Nikon had interfered with the
>system's operation). Is this what you have found, and by the
>way, what does the FoCal Pro cost?

Nikon does not (i appears) provide an API that permits one to adjust the fine tune from the PC. So as Focal needs to take lots of images at different fine tune adjustment settings, it stops and prompts you "set to -20" then "set to -10", etc. It would be MUCH more convenient if it could set it automatically, as it can with Canon, but it cannot. So none of the competing techniques or tools will be any different, you still have to manually adjust.

I bought the pro version and did not regret it. There was a coupon floating around here which saved a few bucks (search will probably show it, not sure if it is still good). I haven't regretted it. It brings good method to something that is otherwise more art than science (it is still a bit of an art).

Linwood

Comments welcomed on pictures: Http://captivephotons.com

A general, generic topic Reikan Focal - Latest? [View all] , Ferguson Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for the generous sharing of his high level expertise in the spirit of Nikonians , Wed 19-Dec-12 08:37 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Reikan Focal - Latest?