Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Reikan Focal - Latest?

Ferguson

Cape Coral, US
5701 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Reikan Focal - Latest?"

Ferguson Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for the generous sharing of his high level expertise in the spirit of Nikonians Nikonian since 19th Aug 2004
Mon 24-Dec-12 06:14 PM

I spent some time yesterday and today rechecking two lenses that I had some question about.

The new version worked fine. It seemed to converge faster on an answer, it definitely (and I do not quite know why) yielded a much steeper curver in all cases, for a more defined "best".

Interestingly I checked 2 cameras and 2 lenses and came to the same number (+/- 1) that I had with the older version, which was a bit reassuring.

I also did a pretty careful live-view vs. AF test on the center, and cannot tell the difference between them.

One thing I also tried (which would work with the older one as well) was to save the actual images during a Aperture test. I then did a live view very careful focus of an spot on the ground, and turned off AF. With the full frame, I could test for focus shift to see how bad it was. I'd heard the 85/1.4G in particular was bad. It's a very nice, fast way to get a feel for that (the answer by the way was "not too bad". At about F2.8 it shifted back enough that the spot on which I was focused was at the very front of the focal range, i.e. blurred just in front of it, but as the DOF deepened I began to pick up focus in front and behind. But it definitely shifts the center of the focus back as the aperture goes to a higher F-stop. Something I need to keep in mind, aim more the front not the middle of the area of interest. The 70-200 (the other I tested, at the same 85mm) stayed nicely centered.

Linwood

Comments welcomed on pictures: Http://captivephotons.com

A general, generic topic Reikan Focal - Latest? [View all] , Ferguson Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for the generous sharing of his high level expertise in the spirit of Nikonians , Wed 19-Dec-12 08:37 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Reikan Focal - Latest?