Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Oil on my D800 sensor

Ferguson

Cape Coral, US
5702 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Oil on my D800 sensor"

Ferguson Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for the generous sharing of his high level expertise in the spirit of Nikonians Nikonian since 19th Aug 2004
Wed 05-Dec-12 12:05 PM

I agree with Bill, it will come up again and again over your DSLR life, and it is easiest to just give up and learn how. Once you do it 2-3 times, once you mess it up once and smear it up and make it worse (this will happen at least once, then you just start over and clean that up), you will think of it as just an occasional nuisance.

But that said, I know many a DSLR owner who never wants to tackle it. Personally I'd take it to a reputable shop who will do cleaning rather than wait the weeks turnaround at Nikon is likely to take, and especially risk shipment. A lot of local places (and not talking Best Buy here!) will do cleaning. Talk to some local camera clubs or read on the internet for references, and see if that's a viable choice. Big cities like Chicago it's easy, smaller ones -- well, you might be down to a choice between DIY or Nikon.

Even if Nikon would do it for free (and stories differ on that), shipment is not free, or without risk, and turnaround is slow.

PEK Pads and Eclipse and a plastic spatula I bought somewhere (I can't recall) work great for me.

Oh... often not mentioned, the newer cameras have a sticky border around the sensor where the auto-clean dust collects. Don't touch it with the pad as, well, it's sticky and makes a hard-to-remove mess if you drag it onto the sensor. If you accidentally do, lift the bad/swab up and throw it away.

Linwood

Comments welcomed on pictures: Http://captivephotons.com

A general, generic topic Oil on my D800 sensor [View all] , SolonPhotos7 Silver Member , Tue 04-Dec-12 11:03 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Oil on my D800 sensor