Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Ready to Left Focus Test my Newer Batch D800e

ericbowles

Atlanta, US
10530 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Ready to Left Focus Test my Newer Batch D800e"

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005
Sun 16-Dec-12 02:17 PM

You are correct - this issue is only related to the phase detect AF system.

It's normal to get variation in AF. The newest and best lenses have lower variation. Even contrast detect has some variation. The variation is a little larger with phase detect than contrast detect, and on average contrast detect focuses more accurately.

It's also normal for the center sensor to focus more accurately than outer sensors, and the extreme sensors are going to be the least accurate. You fine tune focus with the center sensor - not the extreme sensors.

And with most lenses, the center of the lens is the sharpest area and the edges are softer. That's more the case on FX because DX crops out the outer, softer areas.

Finally, when you zoom on a D800 image, you are looking at nearly double the magnification of D700 and D3 images.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

A general, generic topic Ready to Left Focus Test my Newer Batch D800e [View all] , spiritualized67 Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, most notably in Street & Landscape Photography , Tue 04-Dec-12 03:29 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Ready to Left Focus Test my Newer Batch D800e