Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Ready to Left Focus Test my Newer Batch D800e

ericbowles

Atlanta, US
10631 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Ready to Left Focus Test my Newer Batch D800e"

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005
Sat 15-Dec-12 10:49 AM

Good feedback on your experience Steve.

One thing to keep in mind is that AF with any methodology has a distribution of errors. Whether you are using Live View and contrast detect (CD) or using phase detect (PD), there is still a distribution. You can still get missed focus with either method, and every time you focus will be slightly different.

LensRentals.com has done some testing on this and found the distribution is getting tighter and the difference between PD and CD methods is shrinking significantly. They also found that lens selection makes a difference - and the newest lenses tend to produce better results with PD coming closer to CD.

As we move from the center sensor to other cross sensors, and on to regular sensors, AF consistency falls. It's going to fall with phase detect more than Live View since Live View is using contrast detect.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

A general, generic topic Ready to Left Focus Test my Newer Batch D800e [View all] , spiritualized67 Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, most notably in Street & Landscape Photography , Tue 04-Dec-12 03:29 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Ready to Left Focus Test my Newer Batch D800e