Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Ready to Left Focus Test my Newer Batch D800e

spiritualized67

Western PA, US
3288 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Ready to Left Focus Test my Newer Batch D800e"

spiritualized67 Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, most notably in Street & Landscape Photography Nikonian since 01st Mar 2007
Thu 06-Dec-12 07:55 PM

I'm pleased to report that it appears as though my new D800e is not suffering from the dreaded left-focus calibration issue.

I tested using both a 24-70mm and a 35mm F/1.4. I also conducted some less than scientific focus tests on a brick wall and on my co-worker's eye (yes, that sounds bad, doesn't it, lol).

As others have stated, the outer focus points aren't as tack-sharp as the center, which is to be expected. But I didn’t see anything major that would indicate a glaring focus misalignment.

I haven't traditionally fine-tuned the focus on my lenses, but wondering if this is now necessary given the 36MP? Curious what others have done?

Overall, the D800e looks like a fine machine. My 4G memory cards are probably going to need to be replaced and my Epson P-3000 Multimedia Viewer doesn't have firmware to support the newer D800e NEFs, but those are minor issues.

Now I just need to get this baby into the field for some real-world testing.

~Dan

A general, generic topic Ready to Left Focus Test my Newer Batch D800e [View all] , spiritualized67 Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, most notably in Street & Landscape Photography , Tue 04-Dec-12 03:29 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Ready to Left Focus Test my Newer Batch D800e