Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D800 Purple showing as Blue

ericbowles

Atlanta, US
10631 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: D800 Purple showing as Blue"

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005
Tue 04-Dec-12 11:10 AM

As Perrone indicated, purple under stadium lights can be very difficult.

Your issue is with white balance - not picture control settings. You have several choices - you can set a proper white balance using the custom WB settings, or you can use the presets and try to get close. Either way, if you shoot RAW you can adjust during post processing while with JPEG files any changes become difficult.

A quick and easy way to set WB is to use Live View. While holding down the WB button, scroll through the choices. You'll probably find one WB option that is pretty close.

A custom WB is the best way to approach a need for JPEGs. With JPEGs, you need to get a correct WB. Since the lighting will be pretty stable, you can set the WB once and you are good for the evening.

I find Auto WB does not work very well for purple.

Vivid does increase color saturation and contrast, so depending on the situation it might be too saturated. I typically use Standard - but Vivid is a reasonable option depending on taste.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

A general, generic topic D800 Purple showing as Blue [View all] , timnew , Tue 04-Dec-12 03:03 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D800 Purple showing as Blue