Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Change in Shooting Pattern with D800

walk43

Pennsylvania, US
719 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Change in Shooting Pattern with D800"

walk43 Registered since 07th Feb 2012
Sun 08-Apr-12 05:54 PM | edited Sun 08-Apr-12 06:01 PM by walk43

Darrell,

I too find the D800 a little "hot on the right side" and also shoot 90% in JPEG fine.I always shot the D90 with Picture Control to Vivid with a +1 in saturation and + 1 in contrast. On the D800, I tested all the Picture Control settings from my tripod having all other camera settings remaining the same for the tests. I looked at Picture Control settings at Standard, Normal, Vivid and Landscape and tried all the adjustments + or - for contrast and brightness. To my eye, I now have the D8oo Picture Control settings at Standard, 0 saturation and -2 contrast. That balance is the best for my taste as a default setting. I shoot mostly outdoor close-up, so those settings seem to work...then with the histogram showing in my picture review panel, I can make a quick adjustment to the contrast to best balance the image. I don't know if I do it 'right' but that seems to be the best default for my type of shooting. I can pick up the finer details in butterfly bodies, bird feathers in bright sunlight, the shadows on the underbellies of bugs, etc. As long as I don't clip any on the right, I can usually balance the image in Photoshop. But not always....it really is a disciplined art that I hope to master someday.

PS: What in-camera settings do you (and others) use on the D800?

Dan
(Nikon D800,V2,Sony HX400V,Lumix ZS40)
"I don't read, I just look at pictures" - Andy Warhol

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A general, generic topic Change in Shooting Pattern with D800 [View all] , DigitalDarrell Team Member Founding Member of the Nikonians writer Guild. Author of most of the NikoniansPress books. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 , Sun 08-Apr-12 12:47 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Change in Shooting Pattern with D800