Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D800 Area for FV lock in CLS is "Entire frame"?

jim thomas

Edmond, US
1322 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"D800 Area for FV lock in CLS is "Entire frame"?"

jim thomas Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jan 2003
Sun 08-Apr-12 08:14 PM | edited Sun 08-Apr-12 10:57 PM by jim thomas

The D800 manual indicates, in pertinent part, at page 192 that: "The metering area for FV lock when using optional flash unit are as follows:
"Used with other flash units (Advanced Wireless Lighting)...iTTL...Entire Frame".

If that means what I think it means that will make it difficult to obtain the right result in some situations. For example, if one is photographing a person outdoors with a beautiful setset in the backgound, one would want to lock the ambient exposure for the bckground and use FV lock to meter the flash for the subject, using only the subject as the metered area. However, the quoted language from the manual seems to indicate that the entire frame will be taken into account for purposes of FV lock. If so the subject will probably be blown out because most of the background area will be very dark.

I hopw that I am not understanding the manual correctly. How do you interpret the manual on this subject? Does anyone have experience using CLS with the D800 in this type of situation? If so, what was your experience?

Edited to add: I failed to mention that the setup I envision for the example is to use the built in flash as commander only (not firing) with one Nikon SB800 or SB900 as the remote flash firing in iTTL mode.

JDT

A general, generic topic D800 Area for FV lock in CLS is "Entire frame"? [View all] , jim thomas Silver Member , Sun 08-Apr-12 06:14 PM