Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
ljordan316

Inverness, US
830 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Technique"

ljordan316 Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2010
Sat 24-Nov-12 10:42 PM

I was convinced I had to have a solid tripod to get great shots with my D800e until I went shooting birds with David Hemmings. After making some settings changes (all related to AF), I was able to get great shots while hand holding with a 200-400mm zoom. I also started using a BushHawk with the lens to get even better shots. I will still use a tripod when shooting landscapes and animals/birds who are not moving much, but I now feel free to shoot without one.

I keep the ISO as low as I can for good details and low noise...usually under 1000 for birds and 100 for landscapes, but I also focus on the shutter speed. I generally use 1/3FL for hand held shooting even with the BushHawk.

Larry Jordan

D800E, D500, 14-24, 16-35, 24-70, 70-180 Micro, 80-400mm AF-S, 500mm AF-S II

http://larryjordan.smugmug.com/

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A general, generic topic Technique [View all] , jfitzg14 Silver Member , Thu 22-Nov-12 10:52 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Technique