Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
richardd300

Dyserth, UK
4508 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: FoCal or FocusTune?"

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009
Tue 20-Nov-12 03:30 PM | edited Tue 20-Nov-12 03:31 PM by richardd300

I used a 300 watt halogen floodlight which nearly blinded me. I had used LED lights but the light I felt was not as good

I do agree that with considerable effort a zoom can be treated to a "compromise setting" by e.g. checking my 24-70mm at 24, 40, 55 and 70mm and then calculating an average setting. However, I am not sure where the fine tune setting should be decided on. I tested at 24, 45 and 70mm and got all + fine tune requirements +15 (24mm), +5 (45mm) and +10 (70mm). So I knew the lens was front focusing. So I ran a test at 45mm from 0 - +10, the result was +5. In the end I decided on an average of +7 as a half way house.

I re-ran the test throughout the same focal values, but instead at the closest FocusTune distance, 50% of maximum (because the distance tool told me to use the long ruler, which I didn't have). The results were not even comparable to the first results with +20, +15, +18!!!! At that point I must admit I gave up for now and returned the AF-fine tune to zero

Richard

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

A general, generic topic FoCal or FocusTune? [View all] , aay , Thu 15-Nov-12 05:24 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: FoCal or FocusTune?