Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Timeshifte

Dayton, US
206 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: FoCal or FocusTune?"

Timeshifte Gold Member Nikonian since 10th May 2012
Mon 19-Nov-12 10:21 PM

I have purchased and used both products. I didn't have the lensalign fixture so I used a printed target. I lit the target with two 500watt soft boxs. I calibrated two cameras D800E and a D700 with 11 lenses on the same tripod using the same light source. I found both software packages will do the job. But there were some differences,

FoCal Pro's

1. Semi automatic ( still have to change the AFA numbers by manually)
2. Nice print out with the graphs and data points.
3. Automatic defocus between shots.

FoCal Con's

1. No mirror lockup
2, Needed a lot of light
3. Inconsistant results, difficult to get repeatable results, not always reliable.

FocusTune Pro's

1. Consistant results, repeatable across the graph, few outliers.
2. Nice print out with the graphs and data points.
3. Mirror lockup is available ( I believe this is the main reason for the consistant results)
4. Don't need the computer tethered to the camera, can shoot the data points and then load to the computer.

FocusTune Con's

1. No auto focus detune between data points, must be done manually
2. AFA must be changed manually.

I didn't test FocusTune with the LensAlign fixture, I don't have the fixture. From reading other reviews it works better with the fixture. I have to say I was impressed with the results from FocusTunes, especially the repeatibility. It gives you confidence in the results, which is why I looked for another solution after buying FoCus. I couldnt get the software to give me results that I could repeat.
FocusTune is not perfect, its harder to use , you have to do more of the work but in the end its worth it to get results you can feel confident in. And finally its cheaper !

I have no connection with or even know the two folks that produce these two pieces of software other than I paid them both for thier products.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A general, generic topic FoCal or FocusTune? [View all] , aay , Thu 15-Nov-12 05:24 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: FoCal or FocusTune?