Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D800 vs D600 questions

AZ Nikon

Oro Valley, US
204 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"D800 vs D600 questions"

AZ Nikon Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd May 2004
Thu 15-Nov-12 04:26 PM

Okay fellow Nikonians, I need some help. I’ve been doing a lot of reading about the D600 and D800 cameras, maybe too much, and have a lot of questions.

I am a amateur photographer. I mostly take photos on high school sports (volleyball and basketball) inside poorly-lit high school gyms. I currently use my D300 set at ISO 3200 and my 70-200 f2.8 AF S VR zoom lens for shooting these sports. I am disappointed with picture quality due to the noise in the image.

I’ve been reading with great interest about the D600 and D800 cameras, primarily because they have minimal noise at high ISOs. For my primary shooting needs (inside the gym), as far as picture quality is concerned, will I see much difference between these two cameras using the 70-200 zoom lens? My zoom lens is about seven years old. I read somewhere that Nikon updated this lens and that I may be disappointed with the results when using this older lens on a D600 or D800 camera? True?

What about when I shoot other photos using my DX lenses? I know about the crop factor, but do I lose any resolution in the image within the DX FOV on the full frame camera? Any other concerns about using DX lenses on an FX camera?

What about construction of the two cameras? I tend to “baby” my cameras, so will that matter?

I would use the camera primarily for still photos, but I am still interested in capturing video. Any preference between the D600 and D800 for this purpose? And, if I were to get the D800, should I buy the D800 or the D800E, considering the video is secondary to me as opposed to taking still photos?

If money were no object, which one would you buy, and why?

Sorry if some of these questions seem elementary, I need some thoughts from the experts. Thanks very much.

AZ Nikon

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A general, generic topic D800 vs D600 questions [View all] , AZ Nikon Silver Member , Thu 15-Nov-12 03:26 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D800 vs D600 questions