Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
noneco

Vancouver, CA
307 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Birds"

noneco Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 12th May 2009
Sat 17-Nov-12 01:35 AM

Oh yes, I do understand. 1st - I also went from a D300 to a D800, 2nd - for small birds there is not a lens long enough, and 3rd ā€“ Iā€™m defiantly at best an intermediate amateur. I have both the 200-400 f/4 and a 300 f/2.8 so with a TC-2-III I have 600mm @ f/5.6 (IQ very good) or 800mm @ f/8 (IQ not so good). I can hand hold the 300mm with or without a TC for a very few frames. With the D800's resolution high shutter speed is imperative for sharp images ā€“ 1.5 to 2 times the inverse of the lens length. Thus 300mm f/2.8 or (if your strong and don't need a new car anytime soon) consider the 400mm f/2.8. It loves TCs and with a 1.4 you're at 560mm @ f/4 with the option of a very fast 400mm. Brad Hill loooves his 400mm. His work justifies his love.

http://www.naturalart.ca/artist/fieldtests/4waysto400.html

I have used the 600mm f/4 (rented for a trip to Yellowstone) with my D300 and found the lens a bit much for me. I'm not a big man. Remembering my intermediate amateur long lens technique, even on a good tripod using a TC-2 with the 600mm (1200mm) my shots were #### but at 600mm I got some nice shots. My point is, 600mm @ f5.6 using a D800 is a nice solution and not much of a compromise. I do not miss the frame rate, maybe because I've never had it as I shot 14bit RAW with my D300.

Another thought; RRS and the Nikonian store have long lens supports. I have the RRS version and it does make a difference.

A general, generic topic Birds [View all] , jfitzg14 Silver Member , Wed 14-Nov-12 06:48 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Birds