Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
texspeel

Fairfax Station, US
391 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Chimping"

texspeel Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Nov 2011
Thu 15-Nov-12 04:49 PM

Justin,
I recently went on a workshop with fellow Nikonian and for the second year running the Nature Photographer of the Year and the International Photography Awards, Marsel Van Oosten. He showed me a neat trick that I now use all the time for zooming during playback.
On your D800, go to Custom Settings Menu>f2 Multi selector control button>Playback Mode>Zoom On/Off. There are three options - Low Magnification, Medium, and High. Select one of the three options. From then on, when you press the multiselector button during playback of an image, it will zoom to that magnification. Press it a second time and it goes back to the full frame.
Marsel said that medium was 100%. Darrell Young in his excellent book Mastering the D800 says that medium is 200% and low is 100%. I'd say try both settings and see which one works for you. I used Medium and have found it extremely useful for a quick chimp to check focus.
Hope this helps.
Best, Tom

"Nothing can be recognized without light and shade. It is only through the eye, the window of the soul, that we can truly understand the complex workings of nature." - Leonardo da Vinci

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A general, generic topic Chimping [View all] , MongolJustin , Wed 14-Nov-12 11:22 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Chimping