Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

AF fine tune if you have a lens repaired

klrbee25

Naples, US
1386 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: AF fine tune if you have a lens repaired"

klrbee25 Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jun 2006
Sat 17-Nov-12 05:20 PM

I'm going to test all the AF points this weekend but on cursory eval they seem to be fine. I've sent it to Melville every time.

There are a few problems I have with Nikon Service:

1) There is a disconnect between the service centers and the Nikon USA telephone support. Often the telephone people say they'll contact the service facility for me. And that's not directly, it's via a delayed email.

2) Service is incredibly slow (for two of my three service experiences). This is even with an NPS priority status on the repair.

3) The service techs seem to focus on one issue, put the camera back together, and don't check if their work may have impacted other aspects of the camera. For instance, I think they cleaned my mirror, focusing screen, prism and viewfinder. But then the AF was front focusing horribly when I got it back. You'd think after disassembly they'd check the AF system is still calibrated. Not to mention the dirt that didn't get cleaned out.

4) Finally, Nikon doesn't treat the camera as if their customer spent $3000 of their hard earned money on it. I bubble wrapped and padded the daylights out of my camera when I sent it in. The first time I got it back, there was completely different packaging with a tiny layer of wrapping and the camera was flopping around inside a much too large box. The flash hotshoe was actually bent a bit and I had to use a screw driver to bend it back so a flash would seat correctly.

I will give Nikon credit for getting me prompt return shipping labels (2nd day air) and sending it back via Next Day air delivery.

-Alex Rosen
www.flickr.com/photos/klrbee25/

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A general, generic topic AF fine tune if you have a lens repaired [View all] , ljordan316 Silver Member , Tue 13-Nov-12 08:42 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: AF fine tune if you have a lens repaired