Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
djmckaytx

Argyle, TX, US
68 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: SD -v- CF"

djmckaytx Gold Member Nikonian since 20th Feb 2012
Sun 11-Nov-12 03:22 AM | edited Sun 11-Nov-12 03:23 AM by djmckaytx

How often do you re-format your card? How full do you actually fill up your card before you copy/transfer the files to permanent storage?

I personally try to re-format each card once I've copied, backed up, and checked the file transfers. I read in a few places that a clean, formatted card performs better than the same card with files simply deleted and then written over. In theory I would think, a full or fragmented card would go more slowly than one that's not.

As far as card speed goes, you have to think about what you're writing to it. I assume we're talking about problems when writing RAW files as opposed to JPEG. Remember that the files we're writing on the D800 are huge...and if you're asking the D800 to perform lossless compression on the fly during the saving/writing process, it makes sense that it would go more slowly. Don't have any scientific knowledge to go with any of this, just thinking out loud.

I would try to use the fastest card I could afford for any card I'm writing RAW files to. For the secondary JPEG files in using RAW+JPEG save situation I guess you could theoretically use a slower card.

----------------------------------------

Lucky is only better than good until your shutter is released.

Primary Equipment:
2 D810s, MB-D12
SB-910
SB-600
14-24mm f/2.8G
24-70mm f/2.8G
28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G VR
50mm f/1.4G
70-200mm f/2.8G VRII
300mm f/2.8G VRII
400mm f/2.8D (AF-I) (selling this soon)
TC-14E III
TC-17E II
TC-20E III

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A general, generic topic SD -v- CF [View all] , MichaelWise , Sun 11-Nov-12 12:25 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: SD -v- CF