Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

My method for fine tuning the auto-focus

jamesvoortman

Durban, ZA
1479 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: My method for fine tuning the auto-focus"

jamesvoortman Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Sep 2004
Mon 12-Nov-12 03:53 AM | edited Mon 12-Nov-12 03:55 AM by jamesvoortman

I like the method and will try it.

I have a small issue with the advice to shoot at minimum focussing distance. How do we know that the focus point correction applied at this distance will be applicable to normal shooting distances for the respective lens? For zoom lenses, will it be the same at both wide and long settings? I would rhink the best is to carry tests out at normal working distances for the lens involved and for zooms to check the correction required at several points over the focal length range, choosing a correction that it either averaged or appropriate to the most commonly used setting.

Therefore for macro lens : Very close working distance and small image area.....A test page with finer dot pattern might be a good idea.

For 80-400VR : The most critical sharpness requirment is when shooting birds - usually done at 4m to 10m with this lens. Again the target may not be of appropriate size.

Wide angle and standard lenses I use normally for general purpose and landscapes - frequently used with distant focus not practical for this test so obviously I will conduct the test at reasonable working distance and hope the results translate to longer focal distances

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit

A general, generic topic My method for fine tuning the auto-focus [View all] , bkinthebay , Sat 10-Nov-12 02:31 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: My method for fine tuning the auto-focus