Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D800 focusing issue saga

aay

CA
172 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: D800 focusing issue saga"

aay Registered since 11th Jul 2010
Wed 14-Nov-12 02:47 AM

So, here I am again. I guess this issue is not so interesting for lots of people here, but I am going to continue.

After my camera went into service for the second time it took Nikon Vancouver (Canada) service office 4-5 days to get back to me. Their response was that focusing is "within Nikon standards" which really aggravated and upset me as I have sample shots of the camera focusing before and after the first trip to the service center. Focusing performance of the center sensors has greatly decreased and at this point I do not see how I can use the camera with autofocus at larger apertures.

It seems that I paid $3000 for the privilege of treated like c##p by this company.

I do not expect many supporters here as it seems that most people here are not saying anything negative about Nikon. However I hope that my story will help someone to think hard when dealing with Nikon and buying expensive gear from them.

I did a test shot from about 6-7 feet using Gizto tripod with Arca-Swiss Z1 ballhead. It was leveled to make sure the camera is perpendicular to the target. I used 50mm 1.8G lens and the target barely covered sensor area (as seen in viewfinder).

Here are two shots - crops of the left top corner of the target when using central sensor.

Image before the adjustment made by Nikon service center:

Click on image to view larger version

Image after the adjustment made by Nikon service center:

And here is the full uncropped image (still resized to allow posting here):

I have requested my camera to be shipped back to me. I will do tests again when I receive it, but I do not expect any change now.

Also I do not know how to use the camera when shooting with large apertures. I have experienced a camera that doesn't focus properly before (my D90 and the reason I rushed to finally upgrade to the full frame D800) and it was unbelievably upsetting to see all the missed shots and chances. I am now not sure it will focus properly on subjects when I need it to. I am also not sure about the macro photography that I wanted to get into - not sure how the issue will affect the quality.

All in all I am extremely dissatisfied with Nikon and the way it handled this issue. If I wasn't invested heavily into lenses I would actually switch to Canon, even though I like the ergonomics of Nikon.

Think twice before buying from Nikon if you are not heavily invested into their products already.

Alex
http://www.yermakov.net

This is a hot, active topic! D800 focusing issue saga [View all] , aay , Tue 06-Nov-12 02:06 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D800 focusing issue saga