Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Daylight Savings Time

agitater

Toronto, CA
4527 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Daylight Savings Time"

agitater Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007
Tue 06-Nov-12 02:46 PM

>Darrel Young's D800 book says on page 309 ""If
>you select "On", your camera will automatically
>spring forward or fall back." The Nikon manual says the
>same thing.

And they're both accurate. Problem, to you and me and most other people, automatic tends to mean that one doesn't have to manual throw the swith. Unfortunately, in this case, "automatically" means that throwing the switch on will advance the camera's time setting one hour at the moment you throw the switch. The time will automatically fall back one hour at the moment you turn off the switch. It's counterintuitive, no doubt, especially since the hour wheel is right there are can be advanced or turned back just as easily.

The DST feature is brought to you by Nikon's Department of Redundancy Department. FWIW, every other current Nikon body, and every Canon and Fujifulm body I've checked work exactly the same way.

What I have not checked is whether a Nikon body connected by USB cable to ViewNX2 will do an automatic DST update via the computer's Internet connection. So I think I'll check that right now.

(Pause...............)

AH-HAH!!

In the file transfer dialog in ViewNX2, there's a a checkbox to "Synchronize camera date and time to computer when camera is connected (supported cameras only)." But the feature is poorly designed, because when I clicked (helpfully provided) the "Synchronize Now" button in the dialog, the time updated but did not turn off DST. So I then turned off DST in the D800 menu and of course the time fell back one hour, which means the camera was one hour behind.

It's an unimpressive feature in the camera, and it's a remarkably dumb feature in Nikon Transfer 2.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

A general, generic topic Daylight Savings Time [View all] , DAJolley Silver Member , Sun 04-Nov-12 10:51 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Daylight Savings Time