Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D800 and photo trek leaders

SirPuttsAlot

Poughquag, US
354 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: D800 and photo trek leaders"

SirPuttsAlot Registered since 26th Sep 2011
Sat 03-Nov-12 08:16 PM | edited Sat 03-Nov-12 08:31 PM by SirPuttsAlot

Having never attending a Photo Trek, I might be looking at this the wrong way and I'm not trying to be a jerk about this (but I'm sure it will come across that way). When I compare this too other "outings" in other hobbies I had, this seems like an unrealistic expectation.

When I rode motorcycles, there was no expectation that on a track day, the organizers would be subject matter experts on my particular motorcycle and could help me dial in my suspension for that particular track, weather, tires, weight and riding style. Instead, be SME's on safety and motorcycle prep (safety wire hydraulics, tape lights, etc)

For golf, if I were to travel to a place like the Leadbetter Academy, I would have no expectation that the instructors would also be a club fitters and point out the incorrect profile of shaft on my driver for my swing (Kick point, torque, etc) vs working through the mechanics of lessons.

For a Workshop / Photo Trek, unless it was a brand sponsored or specifically advertised as such, I would expect the person to be brand agnostic and describe the settings in the abstract. Discuss the techniques used to capture the images, and be more about "If your camera can do this or that (9 points dynamic, etc). Expecting the person to be an SME in your specific camera model would also be like expecting them to be an SME in your particular choice of post processing software and then being disappointed that they are in fact not.

Now, I will say that because David Hemmings took the time to work with you, read the manual with you, experiment with you, he appears to be about customer service / satisfaction with his product, and that's a very good thing. Provided he was able to balance that with the others on the trek, b/c then instead of having one disappointed trekkie (couldn't help it, it just came out) he may have 1 happy and 9 PO'ed trekkies (sorry, there it is again...)

Or maybe I'm just easy to please.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A general, generic topic D800 and photo trek leaders [View all] , ljordan316 Silver Member , Fri 02-Nov-12 10:35 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D800 and photo trek leaders