Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
wooster

UK
120 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Using Manual Focus"

wooster Registered since 02nd Nov 2011
Thu 01-Nov-12 11:06 AM | edited Thu 01-Nov-12 11:11 AM by wooster

Thanks for your replies, people. Good to hear a ringing endorsment of the D800 AF

The manual focus thing I'm intereted in isn't really only applying to the D800 but I wasn't sure where to stick the question in the forum so put it here.

Roderick, I'm not sure how far I'd trust my eyes to be more accurate than AF but you've certainly given me food for thought.

Re Live view for portraits. In the studio does LV on the D800 not lose its usefulness? I thought this was because you would normally use manual exposure for studio flash and use the modelling lights to compose and focus. However, the image shown by LV is very dark to the point where it is unusable. Is this not right?

I would perhaps find LV feasible for portraits with co-operative models sitting still for a bit, but I feel I would find its use limited in other situations. If AF wasn't accurate enough it would probably be using very shallow DOF with critical focus. The error factor with people moving around would defeat the object.

Well thanks for your help folks. I really do appreciate it

wooster

A general, generic topic Using Manual Focus [View all] , wooster , Wed 31-Oct-12 10:34 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Using Manual Focus