Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
RIW

Kings Lynn, UK
265 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Using Manual Focus"

RIW Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Jan 2009
Thu 01-Nov-12 07:29 AM

Hi Wooster,

I am probably going to be very unhelpful! I use almost exclusively manual lenses on a d800E. This is not new to me . I am old and AF is a new fangled thing that came lately. I agree focus by eye is not easy in modern DSLRs, but it is better than in the microscopes and electronmicroscopes I used in my formative years. We learned how to focus by doing it and ruthlessly examining the results. Time and time again. And it took time for the eye/brain/hand system to learn.

My only tip from using a d800E is to use a magnifying eyepiece (DK-17M). I use the same part of my glasses lenses always (head position), I focus the view finder dioptre control with great care with my eyes at infinity focus, I watch the object I want in focus with fixed attention and focus in and out, my brain works out what 'focus' looks like and tells my fingers where to stop in the continuous focussing in and out. That's it, take. Check in the LCD at max gain minus 2. Not right/learn/try again/check/learn etc. That is my procedure all the time.

Of course with 36 MP and large apertures, f3.5 - 6.1 is my normal range, focus is more critical than with say a D3S at f11, because you can see when it is off. I only use lenses that I have checked and know do not have focus shift. There is no fine tune in MF, so if your lens has focus shift you have to use LV as then you focus with the lens stopped down to yout chosen aperture.

The green spot is misleading on the lenses I use so I ignore it. Also it would take my attention off the visual achievement of 'focus'.

Finally do I ever get shots in focus? Yes! Even of birds in flight! How? By taking photographs every day and being hyper-critical of my results.

Enjoy the ride, just keep taking pictures! Roderick.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A general, generic topic Using Manual Focus [View all] , wooster , Wed 31-Oct-12 10:34 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Using Manual Focus