Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
wooster

UK
120 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"Using Manual Focus"

wooster Registered since 02nd Nov 2011
Wed 31-Oct-12 11:34 PM

Hi

I've been scouring the internet trying to get feedback from unbiased D800 users on how well the AF works apart from the left focus disaster, and I've noticed a number of references ( talking about DSLRs in general ) to using manual focus as if this would eliminate any AF inaccuracy.

I cannot really see how this would improve the situation on any camera.

1. The screen doesn't lend itself to MF surely? My film cameras with MF had a split prism section in the middle surrounded by a fresnel ring and then the rest was ground glass. Easy - peasy! I've yet to see a DSLR focus screen anywhere like as useful for this. Are people really managing it? I doubt I'd be more accurate than the AF using my D700s

2. You could then rely on the AF point lighting up when you achieve focus by moving the ring, but then surely you're back to the same situation as using the AF system as regards accuracy? The point would light up at the same setting that the camera would choose for AF.

3. Live view maybe is the only way I can imagine it but it really isn't practical in most portrait situations either in or out of the studio

People, tell me what I'm missing

Wooster

A general, generic topic Using Manual Focus [View all] , wooster , Wed 31-Oct-12 10:34 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Using Manual Focus