Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D800e - Rattling sound inside flash housing

K64drb

Blacksburg, US
324 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: D800e - Rattling sound inside flash housing"

K64drb Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Feb 2012
Wed 24-Oct-12 05:29 AM

John,
Back in May I posted my problem with the noise which you can read about here:

https://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=set_threaded_mode&forum=430&topic_id=7527&prev_page=show_topic&gid=7527#12956

From my experience, there are two drastically different levels of noise involved. My current D800 does make a rattle if you shake it, but it's very minor and I don't even think about it.

But, my first D800 sounded like something was broken in it. Just gently tipping the camera created a loud sound like something was rolling around in the flash housing. While this is not a problem for still photography, it was a real problem for video, since it was picked up easily and amplified by the internal mic. I sent that one back, and the replacement has a "normal" level of noise, which as I said, is not a problem for video.

If this is a new purchase, and you have a chance to return or exchange it, I suggest you get your hands on another D800/E body for comparison. If they both sound the same, then what you are hearing is probably the norm, and you'll quickly forget about it.

But if yours is much louder, then you probably have the same probliem I did with my first one, and I would exchange it for a new one while you have that option. Or, you can send it to Nikon for repair under warranty. The D800/E is an excellent camera, and I know you want to feel good about your investment. I understand how annoying that first sound was, even if you don't shoot video. Replacing my first one was a hassle, but I am glad I did.

I hope this helps.

Dave

A general, generic topic D800e - Rattling sound inside flash housing [View all] , johnhfeb , Tue 16-Oct-12 02:44 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D800e - Rattling sound inside flash housing