Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Photography Life camera to lens calibration article.

richardd300

Dyserth, UK
4559 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Photography Life camera to lens calibration article."

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009
Thu 18-Oct-12 05:51 PM

Thanks David. I have always been very resistant to seriously attempt fine tune, although admit I have tried it. My problem with it, until the Mansurovs article, is that I read many interpretations and methods especially on forums. However most "expert" written books just mentioned it was possible and went no further. For that reason I was always reluctant to mess about with what I didn't have a clear idea of what I was doing.

Than I read my first ByThom book, the D800 manual and he went into much depth and gave me a greater understanding. However, I was still very nervous. Then, Nasim gave us his thoughts and it helped to give me confidence to try it out with LensCal. I only have one lens, a 70-200mm f2.8 which I am worried about, all others gave me no worries at all as all were free of focus problems when pixel peeping. I have sent that lens to the repairers, because it needs a service anyway. I still don't quite understand how one fine tunes a zoom lens across all focal lengths, but will accept that if it's used predominantly at a single focal length that is possible. I use that lens from 70 thru 200mm so that doesn't satisfy me.

Finally, the LensCal is not available in the UK and costs a fortune to import. One kind member wrote to me and asked if I would like to borrow his. As it's only one lens I've politely declined the very generous offer.

I am rambling, but I see AF-fine tune as being a routine to be attempted under almost scientific laboratory standards, even more especially on zooms. However following the article I am now brave enough to try it on my D800 with my primes. So, thank you Mansurovs

Richard

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

A general, generic topic Photography Life camera to lens calibration article. [View all] , richardd300 Silver Member , Mon 15-Oct-12 04:42 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Photography Life camera to lens calibration article...