Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Nikon D800 in the British Virgin Islands

redswept

US
6 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Nikon D800 in the British Virgin Islands"

redswept Registered since 30th Sep 2012
Mon 15-Oct-12 05:22 AM

Thanks for the comments. The milky way shot wasn't all that complicated - I pointed the camera upwards and shot at f/1.4, 8 seconds, 1600 ISO (with the 24mm f/1.4G lens). Technically, that should be quite similar to your settings at f/2.8 at 30s, 1600 ISO. I stabilized on a gorillapod that I brought in my backpack.

The real key to shooting a nice milky way is location and timing. Find a clear and dark sky away from city lights. This shot is looking at the galactic center, where it's brightest - it helps if you know a few constellations (I use Scorpius). I'm not sure where you live, but the galactic center of the milky way becomes more visible the further South you go. In the Northern Hemisphere, you can only ever see about half the Milky Way. I like to play with this online star tool http://www.astroviewer.com/ to find out what the night sky might look like.

Focus is tough, but I find contrast-detection on distant lights works. I added a bit of post processing, but the image is pretty much out of the camera.

Hope that helps, good luck!

A general, generic topic Nikon D800 in the British Virgin Islands [View all] , redswept , Sun 14-Oct-12 05:46 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Nikon D800 in the British Virgin Islands